Sunday, March 11, 2007

Me - Intimidating??

Last week at a restaurant, Sarah and I got into a conversation with 2 guys at a table next to us. They were on a date - and intoxicated, but amusing. They were very flattering with their comments to both of us... and then the conversation came to self-reflecting halt with this:
RANDOM: "Allison, honey - what do you do?"
SARAH: "She works for ABC News."
RANDOM: "Really?! That's awesome. Such a competitive field and you look so young. What do you do?"
(I smile - I do look kinda young!)
ALLISON: "I do editing, producing stuff."
SARAH: "She's been working in her field since we were in college."
(I smile - my social security checks are gonna rock!)
RANDOM: "Is your boyfriend in the media too?"
(music stops, lights turn off, flowers die)
ALLISON: "Oh I don't have a boyfriend."
RANDOM: "Are you serious?!?"
ALLISON: "Yep, but have a ton of bad dates" (lame attempt at saving face and being funny)
RANDOM: "I know why you don't have a man."
(ears perk, sit up straight)
RANDOM: "It's because you work at ABC News. Guys are totally intimidated by you. I would be if I were straight. You should just tell guys you work in retail or something."

That night, as I settled into bed - I thought about it (okay, obsessed about it) - and since I've tried everything else I can think of in terms of dating a whole host of different people - why not Random's suggestion? I've heard men say that dating successful women is emasculating - but never really processed it until now. Why don't I experiment with Random's suggestion to see if it holds weight?

These are what I've come up with:
I re-pot plants at Chelsea Garden Center.
I'm a clerk at Papyrus Paper Store
I'm an usher at Lincoln Center
Hit me with your choice - I'll let it ride the next 2 weeks - and let you know how it goes.

13 comments:

Pestasaurus Rex said...

I know its a cliche but if they are skeert of you cos you work in a newsroom do you really want them touching you with their wimpy girlyman hands?

logangal said...

that's the thing - man hands may prefer women who are malleable and awed. see http://www.umich.edu/news/index.html?Releases/2004/Dec04/r120804

Unknown said...

Gotta reinforce the cliché along with rex- who wants a guy you have to lie to in order to snag? You just have to up the ante and find a man who's uber successful, uber secure, or both. Here's a hint- he's not at Rudy's. We'll have a cruising field reevaluation plotting session soon.

logangal said...

The ante's been up-down - all-around for more than a decade, dears. I don't need a cruise plotting session... I need someone who can handle me talking about Tehran's centrifuges or modern-day lobbying. Most guys that can discuss that stuff don't want an equal, they want a worshipper.

Nate said...

ummm... i was at rudy's on friday night. this means i must not be uber successful or uber secure or possibly both. youch!

logangal said...

great - not even my guy friends want to hang out when they're 2 blocks away at Rudy's. I CAN'T WIN!!

Pestasaurus Rex said...

where do they get the ego? don't settle for that lot of pointed headed Marys. you should come back to NZ -- the south island is in dire need of females, and I can name at least two all blacks who were also rhodes scholars. ie. smart and brawny.

logangal said...

apparently, ego and flouride are in the water here. what would i do in the south island - open another sheep world? i would love an all blacks date - but that would never happen. don't tease me.

logangal said...

apparently, ego and flouride are in the water here. what would i do in the south island - open another sheep world? i would love an all blacks date - but that would never happen. don't tease me.

logangal said...

apparently, ego and flouride are in the water here. what would i do in the south island - open another sheep world? i would love an all blacks date - but that would never happen. don't tease me.

Nate said...

i thought your back was still hurting you on friday! during the day on friday i shall be watching ncaa games at hooters if you feel like playing hooky.

logangal said...

that's exactly why you should have brought me a rudy's dog and prevented me from watching 'the mirror has two faces.' i might be able to swing friday afternoon - but already missed too much work to play hooky.

Unknown said...

Ooops, sorry Nate! The Rudy's jab was aimed square at the nuts of a guy who deserved it. You're an outstandingly superb specimen who got caught in the crossfire.