Monday, March 5, 2007

My Skates, My Laces! - Seriously.

Think I'm in trouble. For any of you that don't know - a back injury can be quite serious. I re-injured my back recently - and this morning, I was unable to tie my left shoe without a massive shooting pain. Many of you might have had other injuries in your life - be it leg, knee, wrist, whatever... but you have never known the sheer pain of a back injury - an injury that effects every ounce of you - back, legs, hips, arms, shoulders, neck - everything really. I know this because I essentially broke my back when I was 14-yrs-old - and it left me temporarily paralyzed before an emergency room surgery to correct. So if you've ever heard pops or bangs in any part of your body, you have NEVER known waking up to the nonfeeling of your legs or feet or toes. I have lived it... and it humbles you to the core of your being.
Today, felt that sharp shooting pain down my left leg and knew I was in trouble. It became more agitated through the day - and my personal trainer Sonja noticed the wacky configuration of my back - saying it "definitely was not right." She thought my surrounding muscles were trying to compensate for the sciatic nerve problem - which was clearly the case in my mind. She massaged me out best she could - but still, the pain lingers. I am debating an MRI on Thursday - only because I had such a massive back surgery at such a young age and have never felt similar pain until now.
The other problem with my Sonja visit today was the fact that someone stole my ipod. Yep, the nano my baby brother had bought for me for my 30th birthday. Sonja had put it at the front desk at the gym - but as I was leaving - it was gone. I even called back later, and it still hadn't turned up. I had initially left the gym okay - confident that it would turn up. But it didn't an and after my follow-up call - I cried. It was a sentimental gift... with "My Skates, My Laces!" etched on the back. I was broken.
So here I am - with a "problem back" and a stolen ipod and a sentimental sadness. Sucks in the city.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Call my girl Vanessa (my LMT): 917-941-2921. She is gifted, knowledgable, and has great instincts. She can probably even give you a rec on the phone if you give her all of your information.