Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Oh UES, Why Do You Vex Me So?









Don't know what it is, but I have a very strange relationship with the UES. In the year since I've been here (gosh - already a year!) - I've only been there about 5 times. And each time - I usually get inebriated and lost... yesterday, no exception...
Met Mark at Guggenheim to catch "Family Pictures" exhibit, which really should have been called "Pedophiles Come Hither" exhibit because much of it was photography of nude young children in provocative poses. I'm all for art in its most liberal interpretation but featuring very young children who have no control over being photographed - seems, I don't know... wrong. Some of the poses I thought bordered on sexual abuse, so we quickly moved along.
The roving exhibit du jour celebrates Spanish painters - from el Greco to Picasso. We took in some pretty good pieces, and wound our way down to the main lobby. I'd never been to the Guggenheim before, but it is a striking architectural structure and and easily navigable place. I didn't feel overwhelmed by numerous rooms and wings, like most museums.
What I did feel overwhelmed by was the 3 margaritas afterwards at some lame bar called "Geronimo" - where the interior decor consisted of glow cubes and dreamcatchers. Anyway, got really tipsy pretty quick and in a foolish move, we stumbled to a bodega and bought lotto tickets. You don't understand - I was CLAMORING to buy lotto tickets, and I NEVER buy lotto tickets. You would have thought it was the only location in the entire world that sold lotto tickets - the way I was so psyched to get them. What possessed me to shell out 20-bucks for scratch 'em tickets I will never know. Random.
After leaving Mark's place after dinner, I was completely lost. I was in the UES but I felt like I was in a completely different city. It was cold and uncomfortable, too few people were around, and atmosphere was canned and stale. Total disorientation as I walked in a complete circle until I finally flagged down a cab.
At home, only got about 1 hour to sleep off weird UES romp - and then rolled into work.
ASIDES
-How long is this Bob Woodruff stuff going to play? It's on Good Morning America, World News, Nightline - I'm thoroughly exhausted from all the crying this week - and it's tarnishing my "tough girl" veneer.
-On my bizarro UES trip, I must've temporarily lost consciousness and fallen onto a fire hydrant - because a big bruise below my shoulder blade is on the move.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

My cute neighbor must've fallen into that vortex. Since he moved to the UES, his near-constant text-messaging has halted without explanation. Pity- I wanted to introduce you two.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
logangal said...

so nice I posted it twice!

Adam Johnson said...

I felt like I had solved a riddle when I finally realized you were talking about the Upper East Side. Right?

logangal said...

You're right Wild Sage! I guess I failed at making it clear until 3rd reference. Hope I never marry a guy with UES as the initials. That would be horrible.

Pestasaurus Rex said...

thank you wild sage. I was lost.