Wednesday, January 17, 2007

"Hair"rified


EMERGENCY SITUATION
There's an emergency situation in my life - and yesterday, it played out like this:
PHONE: {RING, RING}
RECEIVER: "Hello."
ALLISON: "Good Afternoon. I'd like to schedule an appointment for a blowout with Dori tomorrow."
RECEIVER: "I'm sorry, Dori left this place of employment."
INTERNAL ALLISON: "NOW WHAT!?! MY LIFE! KEEP BREATHING; DON'T PASS OUT."
ALLISON: "Oh hi. It's Allison. Do you know where Dori is working now?"
RECEIVER: "Hi Allison. She went to a salon in Brooklyn. We'll have a new stylist later this week."
ALLISON: "Thank you - I'll call back. Goodbye."
EMERGENCY AFTERMATH
In light of this news, I actually tossed my cell phone clear cross the room and buried my head in my hands. I felt completely abandoned. After all, Dori knew so much about my hair, and subsequently, my life. In fact, I scheduled her and Sonya (the personal trainer) on a rotating basis because I certainly couldn't get a blowout before working out - that would ruin everything! I was even getting ready to let Dori CUT my hair - we had become that close. Now it's meaningless. And to think how much I invested... Ladies, please toss me hair master suggestions around midtown, or a kleenex if you see me on the street.
TOOL BELT
Clubs in NYC are pretty much tool-infested, and this past weekend was no exception. I personally have only been to clubs twice in past the year I've been here - so I consider that a pretty good track record. On Saturday night - decided the girls should go dancing as Heather's friend was spinning at at a club on 28th. It was insanely ridiculous. After passing the bevy of bouncers out front, we made our way inside to a sea of silicone breasts and eurotrash men with more hair gel than all 3 Gotti brothers combined. We rocked our moves on the dance floor, not forseeing the fact that we had become dangling meat targets of literally every man that walked by. One man was like a human pinball - as he was so drunk, that he kept forgetting we had rejected him earlier - and he continued to bounce back in to us several times. Heather told him we were lesbians, and he aborted. Heather and Alex were "attacked" too - so much so that I told one guy it was her bachelorette party, and she was getting married the next day. Seriously, why can't a group of girls just go out and dance and enjoy themselves without getting groped? Next time - wait, there'll be no next time...
WHY MOMA WHY?
So MOMA has a fascinating exhibit with a great concept: a "Streetscapes" Donald Sutherland film based on life in NYC on the actualy facade of the building - so as to create a drive-in movie feel. http://www.moma.org/exhibitions/2007/aitken/
People will be able to view it from 53rd street. It will be shown every night, from dusk to 10pm until next month. Everyone is praising the fact this glowing exhibit is free and uses the streetscape as its focal point. It's evident, however, that I was missing in the MOMA board of directors meeting - because I would have pointed out that temperatures each night are sub-freezing, meaning it's likely no one will see it.
WIND WHIPPED

Got beat up this morning on my way into work. The wind off the Hudson really delivered a pounding; bruises now forming from the battering. After work today, I'm going to take pictures and head to a police station to report. Abuse in any form will not be tolerated!

No comments: