Monday, January 8, 2007

Brain Dump

Okay, everybody - we've got a lot of ground to cover with this blog... as so much has been happening!
OUT-AND-ABOUT:
1) I still owe a review of the East Side Company bar, where Alex and I went last week. Well, it was applejack amazing! The "mixologist" made us applejack sours, and after one sip, I had wondered why I went so long without more applejack in my life. Thumbs up all around... will definitely draw me back the LES... which seems like the end of the world from the west side.
2) 3rd consecutive night with Alex consisted of us shaking our "thangs" at the Delancey, also a LES hangout - but that was a little too "guy skinny jean" for me, and I was still not feeling it due to the prior 2 latenights. Anyway, did see my dear friend Scott and his girlfriend Lynne - up from DC - so that was well worth it!
3) On Sunday - hit up East Village to meet with DC crew again... went to Forbidden City and Mona's. Solid night of socializing - even though I was exhausted.
4) Tonight I went for the gold with Heather - having a "fon-duo" night... meaning we polished off our cheese fondu with chocolate fondu. Two courses of bliss - and we laughed our faces off as we regaled horrible date/boyfriend stories.
FOOD CRITIC
I've been thinking about this for a while, and definitely am ready to make some calls about our favorite "Food Network" chefs.

- First and foremost, I've always been crazy about Alton Brown of "Good Eats." But lately, he's been doing a little too many skits in his show - which kind of annoys me. But still - his show is so amazingly informative - so he's on top.
- There is a person who's closing in on Brown, and she is quickly becoming my absolute favorite. Barefoot Contessa takes the "soothing voice" prize - and I could listen to her for hours.

Plus - she's always smiling, uses enough sticks of butter to make you feel crazy healthy, and always has some fabulous man-friend do flower arrangements.
- Giada makes me insane - mainly because of her gigantor head. It looks like it's going to roll off her body because of the weight, and is totally distracting. I can't concentrate on her homemade ravioli.

- Others of note:
*Bobby Flay is a tool - and somebody should tell him to stop wearing shirts that are too tight for his barbeque sauce gut.
*Sandra Lee is out of control. She's a mess who ends every show with a cocktail, and the cocktail doesn't even compliment the meal. Evidence of this is when she paired chicken parmigiana with a "mango fizz" cocktail. Wha?!?!
TACKY? OR TOTALLY!
I've been thinking about this for a while, just because I feel there is a huge inequity amongst couples and singles. Pros and cons abound on both sides, but what about the registry? We all know the traditional vision of a young couple starting out - getting married, and thus, creating a registry for things they need - like appliances, China, etc... But in this day and age, with couples cohabitating years before marriage - why still register? Is it necessity or excess? I mean, I can't understand why a $400 piece of luggage is showing up on registries either! If anyone should be registering for stuff needed, it should totally be singles. I still don't have a freaking coffee machine - oh yeah, and I don't have that 2-person income either! Okay, okay - I know I'm getting way out of control and bound to be offending many of you marrieds - but it's partly because I walked by my dream China pattern the other day and began salivating. Do I have to wait until some man decides I'm "The One" - so that we too can join other couples in pointing those gun-scan thingies to get more thingies at a wedding registry department? I'm not even DATING anyone seriously, much less on the married track. So - I'm thinking about registering for myself - for me - for my life. Hit me with your thoughts - Tacky? or Totally!

5 comments:

Nate said...

you've thought about this for awhile now. but i still say tacky. for one, people get that shit cause they are having a big reception. people don't just get stuff when they elope.

logangal said...

your opin change if i throw fancy reception?

Adam Johnson said...

All I want when I get married is a pony...one simple pony....is that so much to ask?

Nate said...

my opin changes slightly if you throw a fancy reception. i still think it's just one of the rubs of being single. plus also, i feel like people would buy the single person less anyway... because they are one person as opposed to two. sucks, but such is life!

Browne Baggin' It said...

Don't hate on Bobby Flay, for when you least expect it a "Throwdown" will happen. And of course he is Bobby Flay so he will do many fancy cut sequences where it looks like he doesn't know what he is doing, and going to loose, but in the end will win.