Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Pumping Iron


You know you're getting older when your prescription list gets longer. For women, that means getting something other than The Pill on their pharmacy romp. For men, well - that usually means making that first pharmacy stop... that is, if they've gotten a regular doctor check-up in the first place, which I'm sure - unless they have a nagging wife - they haven't.

Last time I met with my doctor, she told me I was teetering toward being anemic - and that I needed 2 horse-pill size doses of iron every day. I thought about it over a hamburger, and called my mom. We talked about who else in our family was anemic - and then she said, "Well, if you go on iron supplements - you'll need to get Metamucil or something." I was shocked. Why? What for? I'm a vital 30-year-old who just needs more steak dinners - I do not need anything to keep me regular. My mom offered clear warning that iron supplements meant trouble for the ol' intestinal rodeo, so my pharmacy list got longer.

Now - with muscle relaxers, iron supplements, "regular enhancers" and ordinary vitamins - my medicine cabinet looks like something my grandmother would have shelved away. Great - I'm only 30.

No comments: