Thursday, April 19, 2007

Blacksburg Troops

Sometimes I'm glad I'm not thrown into the midst of breaking news. I like being in a newsroom for the big stories, able to process stuff with a bit of perspective - and not be rushed to locate interviews, fiddle with travel, find newsmakers, and track down media handlers. Don't get me wrong, there's no better place to be for a journalist than on the scene of something truly big - but I know that I operate best from home base. For me, the field has too many changing variables.

Friend Alex is down in Blacksburg... booking for CNN, which I'm sure has a staff there the size of a college campus.

She called me the day of the shooting - about midday - saying she was heading down. She sounded a bit frazzled, as was I - called in early to work. I briefly tried to calm her stress level, before she hung up and was on a plane.

She called again today - I think just to get a brain break. She was on her cell phone, and told me she was walking to a dorm. This is what I can remember of our conversation:

Allison: "Hey, how are you holding up?"
Alex: "I'm okay - but we're kinda getting served down here on some exclusives."
Allison: "Yeah, I saw your show last night - good thing the vigil was going on at the same time."
Alex: "Yeah really. I look like a mess."
Allison: "Why?"
Alex: "They sent me down directly from CNN on Monday. I came down here without any clothes - without anything. I had to buy clothes, even underwear, at WalMart!!"
Allison: "Oh dear."
Alex: "Listen, I'm at the dorm - and I have to go and harass a student. I gotta go."

And like that - my friend continued on her dizzying, sleep-deprived journalistic journey. I don't know how long they'll keep her down there. I think most of our troops are coming back this weekend. Anyway, I find the image of her itching and miserable in shapeless WalMart clothes - romping around campus trying to book guests (and more importantly - preventing Anderson 360 and Larry King from stealing those guests) pretty hilarious. But I'm proud of her - as well as all the journalists down in Blacksburg - many of whom I bet are trying to keep themselves together around all that sadness.

No comments: