Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Mick Dundee and Me

Just when you thought your luck can't get any worse, you round a corner.... and sometimes, just sometimes - there's a great new adventure.

Last night - while leaving Belgian Blah - I got outside Bryant Park and turned a corner to wait at a light. Then, out of nowhere there he was - a floppy hatted, curly-haired cutie. He said, "Excuse me, do you know where Times Square is?" I told him that I was cutting through Times Square on my way home - and I'd walk him there.

This is the part that gets fun. Being in the middle of Times Square for the first time is pretty mind-blowing. Add about 20+ if you're from a different country. He was from Australia - so of course, besides being slayed by the accent - I was kinda excited to see him in Times Square.

At first glimpse of lights galore - he was pretty overwhelmed. But it was great seeing something I take for granted and consider a maddening tourist trap. He actually said, "I feel like I'm walking into a Video Game." Yeah, he was funny too.

So he takes picures, and I offer him a beer at the top of the Marriott Marquis revolving lounge (I know - totally touristy - but totally mind-blowing for an Aussie). After that, we're kinda buddies for the night. He's traveling around the world solo - and we have a lot to talk about. He then offers to take me somewhere for a beer.

We hitch a horse-and-carriage in Midtown and take it to Rudy's bar of all places. There, we laugh at our pub peers, play random songs on the jukebox with microphone singalong - we play a few practical jokes on each other - and we get into a mustard fight. So much fun.

We stay up until 7am back at my apartment - laughing and visiting, and ultimately passing out. We grab lunch around 1:30pm, head to the Whitney Museum (which is closed, darn the luck) - and part ways, promising to be email pals.

Overall - it was such a nice time getting to know a new, cool person. I'll drink to Belgium boy... who in a way, made it all possible.

No comments: