Thursday, June 28, 2007

Rotten Egg to Eggs Benedict!

Another great thing about NYC is that you're always being impacted - affected by the diversity and behavior of people around you. Your mood is often taken by circumstances. It can lead to good days plummeting to bad ones, or vice versa - as yesterday turned out.

1) Didn't get the White House job. Didn't really expect it, but the news took the wind out of my sails a bit. After all, I'm in it to win it.

2) Had a meeting with my boss, which was about a situation over the weekend - in which I had headed up our coverage of the Missing OH Mom. Rehashing decisions you made 'in the heat of breaking news battle' is never fun... or completely clear.

3) Headed to get a blowout before a big date - and when I walked into the salon, it felt like I was hit with the heat of a thousand infernos. Yep, massive electricity outage in Manhattan yesterday. And you betcha, my salon fell within the grid. I grinned and grilled through an hour of blowout hell... where the hairdresser is slamming 110-degree heat to my hair and scalp in a room that's at least 92-degrees. I sweltered through...

4) Couldn't find a cab on way to date. Massive electricity outage also means subway issues - so everyone is taking a cab. Everyone except me.

5) When I finally made it to Madison Square Park to meet date at 6pm, I was sweating up a storm under a cloud of humidity. My hair felt more like 5 wool caps than a fancy 'do. And I definitely had a frazzled look - having just made it on time within minutes. I looked HOT.

6) After exactly 28 minutes of chit-chat - date suggested walking me out of the park before he walked the other way. Yep - 28 minutes. It was our own version of speed-dating. Except it wasn't. Except it WAS. I was a broken woman.

7) Trying to find cab to meet Alex for a drink on the UES, I can't find one (because of the lingering electricity problems). Then, like a vision, a limo pulls up and the driver says "You need a ride sweetheart?" I'm now beaming - and this becomes the BEST day ever! I get in the limo - it's a black stretch - and I don't even care if the driver was featured on America's Most Wanted Sunday night. This was my ride, and I was going to enjoy it all: the leather seats, the radio, the Air Conditioning.

8) By the time I hit Luke's on 3rd and 79th - Alex is there, typing furiously away into her Blackberry. She has a slight panic attack that a guy she used to date is at the same restaurant but then realizes it's not him. Phew. Because I would have walked up to him and poured a martini in his face for hurting my friend.

9) Over dinner, find out that Alex had the worst day ever too - yet we are somehow grateful to have pushed through our lackluster days, to an end that offered good laughs, a couple glasses of wine, and the satisfaction that we made it through another one.

No comments: