Saturday, May 3, 2008

Humiliation

I enter the 6 train subway stairs, start to hear a train approaching - begin bounding down stairs with a host of other people. In my head, one voice, "You are going to make this train."

Train coming into station - I swipe Metrocard - and take a deep breath, "I will make this train."

Rush through the turnstyle and onto the train as doors are closing, "I MADE the train."

Ouch. Yikes.

Then I squeak out something like "Yow!" or "Ow!" or "Ker!" - I really have no idea what I yelped.

For you see - my hair has decided NOT to make the train.

Some guy helps me wrestle my mane out of the 6 train jaws of death - while strangers stare in disbelief, horror, and muddled laughter.

Embarrassing.

The next 5 stops weren't any easier, as my face hit fire engine red.

No comments: